Saturday, June 16, 2007

the murky world of international business ethics

What do I do with Congolese would-be business partners who offer to fly me to Edmonton for a weekend to watch soccer, promise suitcases of money and cash deals, and drive Mercedes SUVs?
"Ted, you don't understand," says the Consular General with a patronizing smile, sitting across from me in a plain little office rented from the Canada Christian College at DVP and Eglinton. "If [the government ministers] like it, your problem won't be clearing customs...or any other bureaucracy, it will be to meet demand."

If there's anything I'm getting out of Out of Poverty, it's that the people you choose as business partners need to have a highly sophisticated ethical framework in order to get positive results on the ground.

Maybe I'm being too critical of the wrong things. I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.