Thursday, June 7, 2007

Public tenders, ashtanga in the park, and music in the street

Today I found an email in my inbox at ARISE from the West Toronto Initiative for Solar Energy (WISE). We've been chosen by the WISE steering committee to deliver between 50 and 100 residential solar power systems to residents of High Park. ARISE is on a hiring spree this week, and my new co-worker Paul had the following response when I told him I was on my way to Yoga in the park after work. "Cycling is my yoga."
This could be the start of a beautiful friendship...

Yoga was fantastic, in the sun with a warm furious breeze shaking the trees around us. We relaxed and stretched on a grassy hill overlooking a game of cricket. Our instructor Andrew had even brought an extra yoga mat for someone who didn't show up, which he sold to me for $15. At the end of the class, Andrew gave us a little more insight into Yoga philosophy than his usual "inhale/exhale, smile at the sun". Something he said about the inside Yoga teacher and the outside Yoga teacher struck a chord with me and I stayed after for a little while to chat. I felt a connection to him and some of the ideas that underly this kind of meditation.

Then on the way home, I recognized Jon Arnold and Matt standing in the back of a red pick-up, each with an elbow on a piano that they were steadying as we rounded the corner onto Erb. Jon sat on the wall of the flatbed and played when we waited for the light to turn. Back at Roslin, Matt's friend helped us set it down by the curb and we played for the neighbours.

Just one of those memorable days when you feel like things are coming together for the better.

Ted

No comments: