Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Environmentalist without a cause

Pulling into my driveway at 8:30 after another long day in Toronto selling and coordinating the selling of solar power systems, I feel strangely empty. What good is solar power without people to celebrate the fresh air and overall sense of global-responsibility with? As a salesperson, or even an industry rep, people are always on guard, even just a little. You can't relate to them on a conflict-free level, simply enjoying the process of making clean energy a reality in Ontario. There's nothing more disheartening than spending my Saturday evening with a customer in Etobicoke arguing over a calculator, and then to be told that I may as well be selling anything because ARISE is really just about making money without regard to the environment. And what can I respond? In some ways, it's true.

No comments: