Monday, July 23, 2007

Transition

I learned today that despite my best efforts to repair past relationships at ARISE, there won't be a position for me in the Fall after all.
I guess I have to accept that ARISE wasn't a great fit, though it was a very good one at times, and one that I felt, and still hope, will carry me into a field where I'll continue to find meaningful work. The projects I've been involved with at ARISE have surpassed what I imagined and hoped for when I started here 14 months ago. Working in downtown Toronto, with a community of capable, committed, volunteers who truly care for the earth. This is in many ways an ideal job... and I remember that, despite the sour note of losing my position at ARISE in the midst of the work going very well (strange irony). This isn't to say I haven't learned a lot and had some major growth in other areas of my life in that time. In a way, the end of my romantic relationship parallels the loss of my job. I can see things that done differently could've put me in a better position now...but I did what could as the person I was. It's funny how songs just pop into my head at the most appropriate times. "I did what I did..." says BB King.
Sometimes blogging feels a bit self-indulgent. I might spend this time studying, or out for an espresso with Matt and Mohrgan. But tonight things suddenly feel a lot more complex and I'm glad to take the time to reflect. Tonight, Mohrgan, Matt and I may read each others' blogs and sip espressos in virtual company...

No comments: