Friday, August 31, 2007

Unbelievable Improbability

I don't usually think of myself as lucky. I almost never win prizes at raffles (which I think is most people's experience. It should be, or raffles wouldn't make any money, but I digress...)
This week has has left me feeling completely blessed and I just want to take time to write that down and be grateful. An hour ago I was hunched over my computer in the DP library drafting some emails, and I noticed a reminder to go see the registrar about some important thing to do for my grad school app. I quickly packed up my things and scurried over to Needles Hall, and who did I see coming through the doors of the foyer, but my Forecasting prof. from last Fall who I'd emailed for a reference without reply. Not only was I lucky enough to run into her completely at random, but she'd just got back yesterday from Brisbane and was leaving this evening for a week...AND she said she remembered me and was more than happy to give me a good reference! (smiley sigh)
The series of events starting with a 2 hour lunch with Sandra, Derek, (former ARISE guy) Richard, and a RE consultant from Montreal, leading to several productive meetings with my (soon to be official, hopefully :S) supervisor, and culminating yesterday with an agreement from [the aforementioned solar company] to fund a portion of my research, yes, it was very a fortunate series of events. Now to have three good references from two preferred profs and my boss....it's just really fantastic. I am so lucky.... now if only I had some good friends to celebrate with.

3 comments:

A&M said...

congrats on all that Ted. I'm glad to see your plans coming together. This is me e-celebrating with you. On one of your trips to TO you should drop by. It would be good to see you again.
-A

Ted said...

Thanks A...I appreciate the e-celebration :)

Anonymous said...

last few days our group held a similar discussion about this topic and you point out something we have not covered yet, thanks.

- Laura