Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hope and Imagination

A lonely person's tools for survival

It's not often that I go into a card shop and leave with the feeling of actually having a new and valuable insight into what it means to be a man in love.
As I browsed through the card rack at Earthwinds yesterday, looking for a distinctive one to add flair to a gift I'd chosen (rather uncreatively) from Tim and Nat's registry, my eyes happened over this: (bold formatting added by me)

"My Husband is a man of character who understands commitment and does more than his share to make his family comfortable, safe, and secure.
I adore him.
My Partner is a man who is patient, optimistic, caring and wise.
His sense of humor and support hold me up when I can't do it myself.
I'm grateful for him.
My Best Friend is the only man with whom I can share my deepest secrets and know they will be safe."

The stack of cards with this message was sitting there alongside the rest of the Hallmark-esk pastels and creams. But, I liked it, and some part of me said, "I want to be like this," and "I want a partner who will say these things about me."

Something I realized last night, late last night, is that throughout my life, the most important and powerful motivator has been a hope to one day discover that true love which allows people to really develop their full humanity. I know that sounds a bit heavy, but that's OK because I think it's important. I never understood this, but without that underlying hope, the promise of a love worth living for, very little else holds meaning, at least for me at age 25.

1 Corinthians 13

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Sometimes I find it hard to muster the imagination to look beyond what might have been, and see what could be. I don't have a true love in my life right now, but I still have faith that I will find that love. So I better get out of bed; it's time for church...

No comments: