Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The scoop on school

I now have a fairly clear idea of how my Fall is shaping up. The final word from the Grad Studies office was that my average is just too low to allow admission without a term of qualifying courses. But the good news is, 3 of those half credits will come from a senior essay which will basically be reading volumes of research related to my thesis, and putting the readings together into a paper at the end. I'll also take two other upper year undergrad ES courses, one on professional and scholarly practice in Human Geography, which again deals with research methods and ends with a proposal. And the last course is very exciting...Resource Management taught by Dr. Brent Doberstein. He has done research related to deforestation in Haiti and resultant flash floods at the Haitian/DR border. When I met with him this morning, he was keen to have me in his class, and he mentioned having employed two people as research assistants who are currently working in Haiti for MCC, Mary Lynn Steckley and her husband.
The really interesting thing is that Mary Lynn has a Masters in Geography, and a lot of experience doing field research under difficult conditions (previously in Indonesia), while her husband has a Masters in Poli Sci. Brent said that her husband often works as her research assistant when they go abroad, since she's the one with a background in the field.

One more plus is that I'll be paid as a full-time Grad RA!

So if I can maintain a term GPA of 80%, I'll be admitted officially and begin a TA in the Winter. In the meantime, I'll have ample time for research and preparing my thesis, and the added benefit of getting to broaden my academic background into sustainable development. Prof. Doberstein and his "international case study" approach to teaching resource management is something I'm really looking forward to.

No comments: